Green Gram Spinach Ke Gatte – Spicy Curry
- Moong/ green gram powder - 2/3 cup
- Besan/ gram flour - 1/3 cup
- Spinach/ paalak (washed and chopped) - 1 cup
- Spices/ masale - Turmeric/ haldi, red chili/ lal mirch, coriander/ dhaniya, cumin seeds/ jeera, fennel seeds/ saunf - 1/2 tablespoon each
- Oil/ tel - 6 tablespoons (3 tablespoons for preparing dough and 2 tablespoons for preparing curry,1 tablespoon for shallow frying gatte)
- Water/ pani - 5 cups for boiling gatte
- Asafoetida/ hing - a pinch
- Pinch of baking soda
- Ciba kitchen curry masala - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped tomatoes/ tamatar - 1 and 1/2 cup
- Chopped onions/ pyaz -1 cup
- Whole garam masala - 1 teaspoon
- Mawa/ khoya - 2 tablespoons
- Curd/ dahi - 1 cup
- Take moong dal powder and besan in a bowl and add baking soda, salt, paalak, saunf and water to it. Make a soft dough and set it aside covered for 10 minutes.
- Make small lumps from this dough. The lumps should be of 0.75 inch diameter and 3 inch long rolls. Around 3-4 such rolls can be formed from this dough.
- Heat 5 cups water in a vessel and bring it to boil. Put the rolls dipped into the water and simmer them for around 10 minutes. Switch off the flame and take the rolls out of the vessel.
- Once the gatte cools down, cut them in 1/2 inch chunks.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add gatte to it. Saute for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add tomatoes and onion , whole garam masala,and saute for 7-8 minutes.
- When spices are completely done, allow them to cool down and then grind it with curd and mawa.
- Heat oil on medium flame and add hing and jeera. Wait till it crackles.
- Add spices now - turmeric, red chili and coriander powder. Add ground mixture and saute for 6-8 minutes or until oil gets separated from spices.
- Add gatte and pour water to the curry. Add Ciba kitchen curry masala and mix well. Add little water if the consistency requires. Cook it for 10 minutes and then switch off the gas.
- Yummy 'Green Gram Spinach K Gatte' is ready to be served with hot chapati/ rice.
Hello! I'm housewife.. love food, flavours and fusion.cooking is my hobby.