Karela (Bittergourd) Aalu Pyaaz Sabzi (Dadi-Nani Style)!
This Karela sabzi is tasty and healthy too. Especially for diabetic people. It is an old traditional recipe passed on by dadi-nani.
This recipe is a part of Zayka ka Tadka contest sponsored by Ciba Tazaa Spices)
- Karela/bitter gourd - 250 gms
- Aalu/potato - 2 pc
- Onions - 2
- Green chillies - 2 pc
- Salt - 1.5 tspn
- Haldi powder - 1/2 tspn
- Red chilly powder - 1 tspn
- Dhania powder - 1 tspn
- Amchoor - 1 tspn
- Methi powder - 1/4 tspn
- Heeng powder
- Jeera, mustard/rai for tadka
- Oil - 1.5 tbspn
- Wash and peel potatoes into wedges. Cut onions into halves or quarters.
- Wash karela too. Cut vertically half and if long enough then horizontally too.
- Cut green chillies into halves.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Shallow fry the potato wedges. Keep aside.
- Then fry onions and keep them aside.
- Next add heeng jeera and mustard for tadka. Add green chillies and saute.
- Then add karelas and saute them. Cook them like shallow fry on low flame.
- Keep flipping. When they are done, add the potato wedges and onions shallow fried earlier.
- Add salt and haldi. Cook for few mins on low flame till they get cooked.
- Then add dhania powder, red chilly powder, methi powder and amchoor too.
- Mix well. Sprinkle water if required and cook for couple of mins.
- Off the flame when oil starts leaving the sides. This indicates sabzi is ready.
I am a housewife passionate towards cooking variety vegeterian food. Since I love change in the food regularly, I keep experimenting and innovating the daily food with simple twists so that they look different and maintain the taste. Variation in look, taste and preperation is my mantra in day to day cooking.