Beetroot Layered Jeera Rice
- Rice - 1 cup
- Beetroot -1 medium size grated
- Green chilly - 1 fine chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Jeera( Cumin) - 1 teaspoon
- Hing (Asafoetida) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon or little less
- Tej Patta/Bay Leaves - 2
- Dry Red Cillies - 2 split into Halves
- Black Pepper Corns/ Kali Mirch - 4-5 pc
- Wash and soak rice for at least half an hour. Now cook rice in an open saucepan. When done, drain excess water and allow the rice to cool by spreading it in a plate.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a pan, when hot, add the tadka of hing( Asafoetida) , jeera( Cumin), karri patta( Curry leaves) ,Tejpatta ( Bay Leaves), kalimirch( Black pepper corns) and dry red chilies.
- Add chopped green chilies and saute. Add grated beetroot, saute and cook till they become soft.
- Add salt, red chili powder and garam masala to the rice. Add only half of the cooked to the beetroot tadka mixture and mix well. That makes the beetroot rice.
- Now in a serving cum cooking pan, add one layer of plain rice then a layer of beetroot rice !
- Cover and keep on low flame for a couple of minutes or microwave for a minute.
- Your yummy Beetroot Layered Jeera Rice is ready. Note: you may add all the rice to the beetroot mixture also. Though I love and prefer layered one.
I am a housewife passionate towards cooking variety vegeterian food. Since I love change in the food regularly, I keep experimenting and innovating the daily food with simple twists so that they look different and maintain the taste. Variation in look, taste and preperation is my mantra in day to day cooking.