Bharwan/ Stuffed Karele – Healthy Recipe
- Karele/ bittergourd - 250 gms
- Spices - Turmeric/haldi, red chili/lal mirch, coriander/dhaniya, cumin seeds/jeera, fennel seeds/saunf, dry mango powder/amchur - 1/2 tablespoon each
- Salt - 1/2 tablespoon
- Oil - 4-5 tablespoon
- Pinch of hing/ asafoetida
- Chopped coriander leaves - a handfull for garnishing
- Wash and peel the karelas and mix with 1/4 tablespoon salt. Rest it for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, wash them 2-3 times in running water. Drain excess water.
- Cut them from center while joining the ends and take out the pulp and seeds from it.
- Meanwhile heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan, add hing and jeera to it. Let it crackle.
- Add the pulp and seeds of karela(optional) and all spices and 1/4 tablespoon salt.
- Saute the mix for 5-6 minutes and let it be cool down completely. Stuffing for curry is ready.
- Fill the stuffing in karelas at the center and press them gently with your fingers to make them settled in karelas.
- Heat the remaining oil and shallow fry the karelas on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, flip them and fry the other side too. Karelas need to be cooked on medium flame with a covered lid. Ensure both sides of karelas get cooked well.
- Delicious "Bharwan Karela" curry is ready to be served. Garnish the dish with chopped coriander leaves.
Good food creates good memories and can win many hearts. Though basic cooking started in my Mumbai days, but being in Germany for few years, I started missing all Indian food especially street food. This has made me trying new and new dishes at home and even during the lockdown period in india, it has proved to be the need of the hour!!