Hyderabadi Karela : Tasty And Healthy
- Karela/ Bitter Gourd : 5-7 small pieces
- Chopped Onions/ Pyaz : 1 bowl
- Ginger Garlic/ Adarak Lehsun Paste : 1 tablespoon
- Chopped Green Chili/ Hari Mirch : 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind/ Imli paste : 2 tablepsoons
- Grated Jaggery/ Gur : 1 tablespoon
- Whole Red Chilli/ Khadi Lal Mirch : 2-3 pieces
- Spices/ masale as per taste : Salt/ namak, Red Chili/ Lal Mirch Powder, Turmeric/ Haldi, Coriander/ Dhaniya Powder, Garam Masala Powder, Kasuri Methi, Asafetida/ Hing, Cumin Seeds/ Jeera and Dry Mango/ Amchur Powder
- Curry Leaves/ Meetha Neem : 8-10 leaves
- Oil for frying : 7 tablespoons
- Wash and peel the karela and then cut it in the centre. Take out seeds and apply salt and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Now again wash it properly and then squeeze water from it.
- Heat oil on medium flame and fry the karelas. Take them out in a plate and leave 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan.
- Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, whole red chilli and curry leaves. Now add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste and chopped green chilli and saute on medium heat for 5-7 minutes till the onions becomes brown.
- Add remaining spices and half bowl water and heat on medium flame for 10-15 minutes till oil starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add tamarind paste and grated jaggery and mix it nicely. Masala for karela is ready now.
- Fill this masala in karelas one by one. After filling the masala in the karela, keep all the karelas in the pan and add 2 tablespoons of water and cover the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and mix it well. Switch off the gas now.
- Tasty 'Hyderabadi Karela' is ready to be served with hot chapatis/ parathas.
Passionate about cooking!! Believes that the best way to live life is to live your passion daily!