Karele (Bitter Gourd) Fry – Delicious
- Karele (Bitter Gourd) - 200 gms
- Chopped onions - 2 of medium size
- Chopped chilies - 2
- Chopped garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Chopped ginger - 1 inch piece
- Salt as required
- Spices - turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, amchur/dry mango powder, garam masala, fennel seeds, cumin seeds - each 1/2 tablespoon
- Oil - 3 tablespoon
- Chopped coriander leaves for ganishing
- Rinse, peel the bitter gourd & cut them to small round pieces. Apply some salt to them and leave them for 20 minutes. Wash them well now 2 times in running water.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame and add cumin seeds and chopped ginger garlic to it. Saute it for 10 seconds.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies and bitter gourd to it. Mix well. Stir fry the mix for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add spices (except garam masala and dry mango powder) and salt now. Salt is required in lesser quantity. Cover the lid and allow it to cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- Add garam masala and dry mango powder now. Mix well and switch off the flame. Leave the curry covered for 2 minutes.
- "Karele (Bitter Gourd) Fry" is ready to be served, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Good food creates good memories and can win many hearts. Though basic cooking started in my Mumbai days, but being in Germany for few years, I started missing all Indian food especially street food. This has made me trying new and new dishes at home and even during the lockdown period in india, it has proved to be the need of the hour!!