Sooji Idli with Vegetable Sambhar
- Rava/Sooji - 1.5 cup
- Curd - 1.5 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup for preparing idli batter
- Salt to taste
- Baking powder/Eno - 3/4th tbsp
- Dal - Toor dal,Moong dal,Masoor dal (mix together 1 cup)
- Chopped Onion - 2
- Chopped Tomatoes -1
- Chopped Green Chilies -2
- Chopped Coriander leaves for Garnish
- Curry leaves - few
- Chopped Vegetables( Capsicum,Carrots,Peas,Potatoes,Bottle Gourd)
- Sambhar Powder - 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind Paste - 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds/ jeera - 1/2 teaspoon
- Pinch of Hing/asafoetida
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Water for Boiling dal - 2 cup
- Mustard Seeds/raai - 1/2 teaspoon
- Mix semolina, curd, some water and salt and set aside for 5 to 10 min. Meanwhile, grease the idli tray with some oil.
- Add eno now just before putting idli batter to the tray. Eno creates some bubbles in the batter. Cook idlies for 10 to 12 min on medium flame.
- Idli is ready now. Let's prepare Sambhar now.
- Boil Dal with Chopped Potatoes, Carrots and Bottle Gourd. Pressure cooker them for 2 whistles.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add Hing, Mustard seeds, Curry leaves.
- Add chopped Onions and saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped Capsicum, Peas and Chopped Green Chilies and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Now add all Dry Masalas including Sambhar Powder. Cook them for about 2 minutes.
- Add Chopped tomatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add Tamarind paste, Boiled Dal and Vegetables. Cook it for 10 minutes.
- Vegetable Sambhar is ready. Garnish it with chopped Coriander leaves.Serve Hot with Sooji Idli .
Good food creates good memories and can win many hearts. Though basic cooking started in my Mumbai days, but being in Germany for few years, I started missing all Indian food especially street food. This has made me trying new and new dishes at home and even during the lockdown period in india, it has proved to be the need of the hour!!