South Special Vegetable Kootu/Sambar
South Special Vegetable Kootu/Sambar Recipe is an evergreen recipe which is served in Indian households. It is very healthy and is liked by all. It tastes almost similar to sambar but has flavors of few more spices.
For more such exciting recipes, please click on the following links.
- INGREDIENTS FOR SPICES -
- Coriander seeds/ khada dhaniya – 1 Teaspoon
- Black gram/ Urad dal/ Uddin bele – 2 Tablespoons
- Cumin/ jeera – 1 Teapsoon
- Black pepper/ kali mirch – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Red Chilli(Byadgi)/ lal mirch – 3-4
- Grated dry and fresh coconut/ nariyal boora – 2 cups
- Poppy seeds/ khaskhas – 1 Tablespoon
- Asafoetida/ Hing – ½ Teaspoon
- Cinnamon/ dalchini – 1 small piece(1/4 inch)
- OTHER INGREDIENTS -
- Toor dal/togari bele/Split Pigeon gram – 5-6 cups
- Groundnuts/ moongfali – 1 cup soaked
- Mixed vegetables – Carrot, Beans, Ridge gourd/Tori
- FOR TADKA :
- Ghee – 1 Tablespoon
- Mustard seeds/ raai - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Cumin/ jeera - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Curry leaves/ meetha neem - a few
- Whole red chilli/ lal mirch khadi - 1
- Heeng/ asafoetida - pinch
- Salt/ namak to taste
- Boil toor dal in a cooker till it is soft. Wash, cut and cook the vegetables and also soak the groundnuts.
- Meanwhile, roast coriander, black gram, cumin, pepper, red chili, cinnamon till the aroma comes. Add asafoetida, grated coconut and finally the poppy seeds. Keep aside till it cools down a bit. Grind with water to make a paste.
- Heat a pan and add the cooked toor dal, cooked vegetables, ground masala paste, soaked groundnuts and salt to taste and boil the mixture well for around 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between so the dal does not burn.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard, cumin, asafoetida, red chili, curry leaves. Once seeds crackle, add the tadka to the kootu/sambar.
- Yummy and healthy 'South Special Vegetable Kootu/Sambhar' is ready to be served with rice/idli/roti.