Stuffed Karela – Healthy And Spicy Curry
- Karela/ bitter gourd - 250 gms
- Onions/ pyaz - 100 gms small sized
- Boiled and mashed potatoes/ aloo - 3 medium sized
- Raw mangoes/ kairi grated - 50 gms
- Salt/ namak as per taste
- Red chilli/ lal mirch powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric/ haldi powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander/ dhania powder - 1 teaspoon
- Dry Fenugreek & fennel powder/ methi-saunf powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida/ heeng - 2-3 pinches
- Cumin/ jeera - 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard/ raai - 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil/ tel - 2 tablespoons
- Wash and peel karela, onion and kairi. Slit the karela and cross slit onions and grate kairi/raw mango.
- Take boiled and mashed potatoes in a bowl. Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, heeng and methi-saunf powder along with grated mango to mashed potatoes. Add a tspn of oil to it. Mix well.
- Stuff this potato-raw mango mix to the slit karela and onions.
- Heat oil. Add heeng, jeera and mustard seeds. Let the seeds gets crackle. Add stuffed karela to it. Cook on low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Flip them gently and add the stuffed onions too. Cook on low flame with lid covered for 3-4 minutes more.
- Check if the karela have turned tender or not. Gently flip the karela so that they get cooked from all the sides.
- Add any remaining potato-raw mango masala . Stir lightly.
- Cook on low flame again for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the flame and cover it.
- Delicious and healthy 'Stuffed Karela' is ready to get served with roti/ rice.
I am a housewife passionate towards cooking variety vegeterian food. Since I love change in the food regularly, I keep experimenting and innovating the daily food with simple twists so that they look different and maintain the taste. Variation in look, taste and preperation is my mantra in day to day cooking.