Common herbs have been part of our daily consumption from a long time. Here are some health benefits of 5 such common herbs.
I believe, each one of us like a healthy and green environment in our house, growing common herbs can bring freshness and can bring us more close to nature. As per wiki, Herbs refers to the leafy green part or flowering parts of a plant (either fresh or dried).
Common herbs and human beings have a deep connection, from the time we reckon. We all love to be surrounded by nature. Leafy greens are inherent part of our being, but with hectic schedules in today’s life, we get little time to spend with nature. If we want to connect, stay close to nature, having a herb garden is the best option. We can nurture the below mentioned common herbs in our kitchen garden to recreate the bond with nature.
Natural herbs, vegetables and flowers have different uses and benefits. Here we will discuss about 5 common herbs which are easy to grow, maintain and carry beneficial properties for overall human body.
Common herb – Basil/ Tulsi
According to Indian Hindu mythology Tulsi is a sacred plant. It is also called as holy basil. Basil is an aromatic plant which finds its origin in Indian subcontinent. Tulsi is grown in most of Indian houses, some grow it for its medicinal properties and some for religious purposes. Essential oil of tulsi is also beneficial for cough and can act as immunity booster. Basil is also used in different cuisine for seasoning.
Health benefits of Tulsi | basil
Basil helps to cure sore throat, cold and flu. We can use it in tea and give its juice (Tulsi sat) to kids after mixing it with honey. It is useful for patients of asthama as well. Tulsi also acts a des-stressing agent on our body.
Common herb – Mint
One of the flavorsome and aromatic herbs is mint. Mint is also called as Mentha and pudhina in Hindi. Mint oil is mostly used in various toothpaste and oral wash, mouth fresheners and candies. Mint leaves act as natural mouth freshener.
Health benefits of mint leaves (either fresh or dried)
- Helps in digestion- Mint is considered as an appetizer which soothes stomach and also helps cure indigestion. The aroma of mint helps our salivary glands to secrete digestive enzymes.
- Helps cure Nausea – Mint leave are very effective option to treat nausea its strong aroma is efficient in curing nausea and headache related to nausea.
- Skin soother- Mint leaves are effective skin soothers and help cure skin infections. Mint oil is has antiseptic properties and is a powerful skin cleanser.
Common herb – Coriander Leaves
Coriander also called as Dhaniya in Hindi. It is one of the most widely used herbs all across the globe. Its usage generally involve as finishing ingredients for garnishing various cuisines. All the parts of the coriander plant are edible but generally dry seeds and green coriander leaves are used in cooking frequently. Coriander leaves are also helpful in relieving nausea and indigestion.
Health benefits of Coriander
- Helps lower cholesterol- Coriander is quite effective in decreasing cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Helps regulate blood pressure – Consumption of coriander leaves help regulate the blood pressure and it is observed in many cases coriander helps reduce blood pressure in patients of hypertension.
- It prevents anemia – Coriander is rich is iron so its high iron helps people who are suffering from anemia. The iron content also helps in proper functioning of overall organs and promotes energy and strength.
- Good for bone – Many people are not aware about the calcium content of coriander. Calcium and other essential minerals found in coriander helps in bone regrowth and in turn help preventing osteoporosis.
Common herb – Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a short stemmed plant known for its medicinal use. Aloe Vera is cultivated all around the world and is also a low mentainance plant. It does not need much water to sustain. Aloe vera is majorly used in many beauty and hair care products. Aloe vera is also rich in antioxidant therefore it helps reduce inflammation. It has anti bacterial property and it is useful in treating skin rashes and sunburn.
Body care benefits of Aloe Vera
- Beauty products ingredient – Aloe vera is nowadays found in the ingredient list of many beauty products. Aloe vera is rich in vitamin C, E and beta carotene. It can be used for oily skin as well because it can moisturize the skin without making it greasy.
- Hair care products – Aloe vera acts as a very good conditioner for hair and its correct usage transforms the hair into smooth and shiny texture. Moreover aloe vera helps in hair growth, it also prevents itching sensation on the scalp so it is also useful for curbing dandruff. Aloe vera usage gives results like keratin treatment thereby helps preventing hair breakage as well.
Common herb – Curry leaves
Curry leaves popularly known as kadi patta plant is native to India is a natural flavoring plant generally used for enhancing the flavor and seasoning different cuisines. Many Indian households prefer to nurture this plant because of its benefits. Curry leaves consist of carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, phosphorous, irons and vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin E.
Health benefits of Curry leaves
- Helps improve digestion- Curry leaves helps improve digestion and also helps change the way, our body absorbs fat, thus helps in losing weight.
- Improves hair vitality and prevent greying of hair- Curry leaves are popular for treating damaged hair and bringing vitality to dull and thin hair. It also a natural treatment for dandruff.
- It also helps reducing congestion in chest due to cough and also helps beat anaemia.
Disclaimer: The benefits of herbs discussed here are generic in nature. While the herbs have medicinal properties and health benefits, you should check if a particular herb suits your body before consumption/application.
No comments yet.