Poornalu is a traditional south Indian sweets.
Poornalu is an authentic dish prepared on special occasions and festivals. It is made with chana dal stuffing and dosa batter coating. In addition, you can prepare this simple and easy dessert at home and can be served for lunch and dinner. Moreover, Poornalu is commonly prepared during festivals, weddings, and other special occasions. It is a special dish for varalakshmi vratam in Shravan month, Durga Navratri, and for satyanarayan pooja to offer as naivedyam to the goddess. So, try to make this special dish in your kitchen and share your feedback with us in the comment section.
This recipe was prepared by a lovely Mom: Rama Devi from Hyderabad
Tips and Suggestions by a Mom Chef:
- The alternative of dosa batter for making poornalu instantly :
- Maida & rice flour batter can be used instead of dosa batter.
- Urad dal powder & rice flour can be used instead of dosa batter.
- The ratio of jaggery to cooked chana dal should be 1:1.
- The ratio of water to chana dal should be 2:1 for cooking it in a pressure cooker.
- Grated jaggery should be used instead of jaggery powder.
- This dish can be prepared with moong dal instead of chana dal.
- To make poornalu softer, the urad dal should be more than the rice flour in the dosa batter.
- The dosa batter should be of a thick consistency.
- It is recommended to prepare this dish using Idli Dosa Batter | Homemade Idli Dosa Batter