Thengai Chutney | Chennai Style Coconut Chutney is delicious and super healthy chutney from Chennai.
Thengai Chutney | Chennai Style Coconut Chutney is simple and tasty coconut chutney. Other than tempering, this chutney doesn’t need any cooking. This chutney is prepared using fresh coconut, roasted chana dal, green chili, and tamarind. Coconut contains a considerable amount of minerals like manganese that takes care of our immune system and strengthens our bones and muscles. The antioxidant properties of coconut also make it a great source of overall health and wellness. It is very easy and quick to prepare and also a great accompaniment for a variety of South Indian food like idli or dosa or upma or bonda. Definitely try this chutney and enjoy it. Let us know your feedback in the comment section.
This recipe was prepared under the live cooking contest ZPL season 2.
Tips and Suggestions by Mom Chef:-
- Tempering the chutney is very important.
- You can also add hing/ asafoetida in the tadka.
- Adjust the consistency of the chutney as per your choice.
- This chutney does not require tamarind or curd or lemon juice. Many people used to add it as per their taste. It is completely optional, if you like you can add it for a tangy taste.
- The proportion for the coconut:roasted bengal gram is 1:(1/2).